Thursday, April 14, 2011

Taper Workouts

This week is an "easy" week. My workouts are shorter in duration and designed to keep me "fresh and loose." I shifted Wednesday's workout to Thursday to take advantage of the warmer weather. I flew home after clinical today, did a few things around the house, and then changed for a 3 mile run. I dressed lightly for the run knowing it was much warmer out. I planned a simple out and back and true to my poor planning, I was running home into the wind. I felt like a slowpoke and when the run was over, I reviewed the workout. My pace was actually pretty quick. I certainly felt like I was running slow and easy but I guess my taper legs were faster than I thought.

After the run I changed into some cycling clothes for a quick "flush out the legs" ride. I debated for a few minutes which bike to take out. If I took the road bike out I know I would pedal easy. If I took the tri bike out, the temptation to ride fast would be great. Sticking to my HOTS status, I grabbed the tri bike and went out. I actually felt comfortable and relaxed on the ride. Same as the run, I had an out and back planned. I wore shorts and not tights for the ride. I think I was even smiling out there. I can't wait for next week to come. With the weather getting nicer, I can't wait to begin some serious outdoor cycling.

"Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience.
You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them,
and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head."
                                                       - Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment