Friday, April 15, 2011

Final run

This morning I had one last "shake out" run to keep me loose before the big race. I had 2-3 miles scheduled so I sound up splitting the difference and running 2.6. It felt so nice and easy. I can tell the last few weeks I am taller when I run. In the past my strides were so short that I would "collapse" down into my stride and my trunk would bend forward. Now, I feel more upright. I call that progress.

When I run I like to listen to music. Most of the time it's just something to distract me while I think about anything and everything. Heck, at times I've even had other songs going through my head while a different one was playing. And once I get home, I couldn't even begin to tell you what I was listening to. This morning was no different. I was thinking about the race and what I was looking like from mile 10 to the finish line. I was picturing myself finishing strong when suddenly this popped into my head:

"Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on moving
Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh ho, I got to keep on moving"

Wow, how did THAT get in there?!? That's definitely not on my playlist. I tried to think of other things and turn up the volume on my earbuds, but alas, it didn't help. I made it home and tried to shake off the cheesy lyrics. Thank goodness once I got home I was busy downloading my data and updating my training log so the song was just a bad memory.

I have my race day outfit picked out and I will wear my moderately cushioned shoes for this race. No lightweight trainers for me. I'll save them for shorter efforts. Right now 10 miles is pretty much my distance limit for those shoes. I have a 'special blend' on my iPod to get me through the race. There are a few songs that I seem to hit repeat on during my runs that keep me moving along. I've reloaded the iPod and it's fully charged. My GPS watch is fully charged. My gels are ready to go, no shot blocks for me this race. They just don't agree with me. Saturday is packet pick up and then I head to my cousin Cindy's house. She lives ~15 minutes from the race site. After the race Sunday we'll head back to her house to clean up and then head to my aunt's house to meet up with the rest of the clan.

"Running is a big question mark that's there 
each and every day. It asks you,
'Are you going to be a wimp or
are you going to be strong today?"
                               - Peter Maher

No comments:

Post a Comment