Thursday, April 8, 2010

It's go time

I was back in school this week. Spring break is over and it was time to get back to the grind. I was fortunate enough to ease back into the swing of things this week. My usual Monday 8:30a-7p turned into 5-7p. And my Wednesday morning class was cancelled. So I gained some valuable study time for my ortho practical today. Practicals are tough enough, but this one seemed to be the hardest. It covered the entire spine from occiput (head) down to the sacrum. We could be tested on assessments and/or treatments. When you are called into the room, you can feel your pulse rate quicken. Then you need to pick from 2 sheets of paper. They are turned upside down so you have no idea what they say. You have to use some psychic powers to help you pick. But then again, Uncle Murphy will always strike and you will pick a card that has a technique you are just not that good at. And once again, I was bit in the ass. My sheet had two elements on it:

  1. Perform an ERS MET to the cervical spine (I got to pick direction and segment)
  2. Perform the long sit/standing marcher's test
Needless to say #1 was not my strong suit. I performed #2 first. And again, my dumb luck, the results of the two tests don't match. The professor asked me what I would do. I first told him I would do a standing flexion test, but he wanted a different answer. I then said I would retest the two exams I did. Bingo. Onward to my nemesis. For the most part I did fine with this intervention. The feedback I got was my elbows could have come out more to the side. It would have made the intervention easier for me to perform. No worries, I did it and it's over. Monday we start the upper extremity. Can't wait for that.

I thought April would be a 'light' month, but turns out I will be busy. Next week I have my Neuro practical covering NDT, PNF and Task-Oriented Approach. Each Wednesday for the next 3 weeks I have to go observe/evaluate/treat a 2 year old in physical therapy for my pediatrics class. This should be interesting. Pediatrics is an area I want to run screaming from. April 30th we have a field trip to Helen Hayes Hospital and their spinal cord injury rehab department.

Then my final exams will come up sooner than later. I got the schedule emailed to me just before spring break:
  1. 5/10 - Ortho written final
  2. 5/13 - Ortho practical
  3. 5/17 or 5/19 - Eletrotherapy practical
  4. 5/17 - Neuro Practical
  5. 5/18 - Cardio rehab written final
  6. 5/18 or 5/19 - Pediatrics practical
  7. 5/20 - Pediatrics written final
  8. 5/20 - Neuro take home final due
  9. 5/21 - Electrotherapy written exam
Wow, come to think of it, this is coming down fast. My first final is only a month away!! It's go time!

No comments:

Post a Comment