Saturday, January 7, 2012

What goes through my head

At any point in time, I am always in thought. For some reason, I just can't shut down my brain. It comes in handy at work where I can listen and think at the same time. But sometimes I would like to enjoy some quiet time and relax but I have yet to figure out how to do this.

When I go out and exercise, especially running, many things go through my head. Sometimes I create lists of things I need to do or I sort through problems. Other times weird shit enters my thoughts and then I am trapped. A conversation I had with Dolores a few years ago popped into my head. It was a Saturday during tax season and somehow we got on the topic of the song "Cracklin' Rosie" by Neil Diamond. I was telling her it sounded like some hooker:

Cracklin' Rosie get on board
We're gonna ride 'til there ain't no more to go
Takin it slow

Cracklin' Rosie make me smile
God if it lasts for an hour, that's all right
We got all night

So we spent a good deal of time analyzing the lyrics and convincing ourselves it was about a hooker. But we were stumped by the part where he calls her a 'store bought woman'. So we consulted with my mother, who is all things Neil Diamond, and she informed us that Cracklin' Rosie was not a hooker, but wine. Needless to say we were crushed. We preferred our version of the song.

So now my problem was despite listening to my iPod on the run, all I could hear was Cracklin' Rosie in my head. And it was in my head all day.

Play it now. Play it now. 
Play it now my baby.....

We were so fortunate with the weather today. It was almost 60 degrees out. I was supposed to ride, but with the Wingman's swim lesson, we juggled the workouts so he could ride with me tomorrow. I went out and ran long today. I'm doing a better job on the long easy runs of just sitting back and trying to go easy. I don't bother with the GPS watch. I pick a route that will cover the time goal that is set for me. It's not even about mileage. Just get the time in so the fitness builds up. 

Tomorrow the Wingman and I will be busting out the mountain bikes and riding some double track trails with Wynn & Teresa. Wynn assures us it will be challenging with hill climbing. I dug out my GoPro video camera so hopefully I will get some good footage of the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment