Sunday, January 15, 2012

Getting the work done

For the first time since September, I'm back in the pool. I meant to swim with the local tri club on Tuesday night, but I was overwhelmed with evaluations and fell behind on my documentation. I wound up bringing stuff home to type which pisses me off to no end. I would love to leave my work at work, but when my schedule gets loaded up and a patient doesn't shut up, then I lose time. So my pool entry was delayed until Thursday. And I looked and felt like someone that hasn't been in water in ~4 months. My 100 times were so slooooowww. I had my workout scribbled on a piece of paper in a ziplock bag and I ticked off each set on the list. Before I knew it, the workout was over. And I had that horrible feeling of weighted arms. It wasn't a hard or long workout, but it still wore me down a little. The Wingman was in another lane practicing his drills. Once we were both done we headed home and I went right to sleep. I had a long day Friday.

Friday morning I had to head to a different office to cover for another PT that was off for the day. It was a slow day, which I didn't mind for a change. Then I had to head to the tax office for my 2nd job. It was a good 12 hour day for me. I headed home to spend a little time with the Wingman and then get to bed early.

Saturday was a pretty windy day. I had two choices for my ride - stick to my schedule and do an easy 90 minute ride on the trainer, or head into the trails with the Wingman, Wynn, and Teresa on a MTB ride that would be anything but short and easy. I opted to stay home and ride the trainer. I missed riding with the group, but I'm glad I got my workout in. I really want to stick to the plan this year and not go too hard, too fast, too early in the season. One of my goals is to not burn out or get injured before the end of my season. Saturday night we headed over to Ian and Joan's for dinner. Wynn and Teresa were also there. As always, we had a great time and laughed a lot.

Today I had a long run scheduled, but the wind was not going to cooperate. I opted for the treadmill instead. I loaded up my iPad with a few training podcasts and fired up the treadmill. I had an hour fifteen to knock out. About half way through, the moment I was waiting for occurred. That wonderful runners high. It's a great moment when I feel it take full effect. There is an amazing disconnect between my upper and lower body and my brain says "hmm, the legs are moving, I don't know how it's happening, and I can't feel them going, but they're going." I'm on auto-pilot until the workout is done. Once it was done I felt good that I banged it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment