Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sleep trumps EVERYTHING

Yep, it really does. This last week has been a crazy one. I've been putting in the hours on my clinical, training, and working a few nights this week. I needed to take Sunday off for a foot/ankle course I signed up for in the city so I had to be sure I was caught up at work. This meant my long run would be Saturday morning. I made sure I didn't stay too late at work Friday night.

When the alarm went off Saturday morning, I got up, went to the bathroom, and climbed back into bed with a less then convincing "yeah, I'm gonna run today" to the Wingman. As soon as the words left my lips, I was asleep. Yep, I was taking a nap after waking up. Getting up to use the bathroom is very strenuous work. I slept in a little and realized that a morning run was not going to happen. Instead I drove into work with the Wingman and worked feverishly all day long. I was stressing all day about getting my long run in. I had one eye on the clock and the other eye on the pile of work. It became a race against the sunset.

Around 3p I knew I was not going to run that day. I also knew that I had to get up early Sunday to drive into the city and spend all day there. A Sunday run was not going to happen. I thought about Monday and how I could squeeze it in. My clinical hours Monday are 9a-8p. I would have to get up early again to run. The thought made me shudder. I was craving waking up without an alarm clock. I wanted some "me" time (me meaning me and the Wingman and my long run).

I made the executive decision to skip the class. I knew if I went the feeling of being rundown was going to get worse. And when you are rundown, it's easy to get sick. I am in contact with many people throughout the day and the potential to catch something is pretty high so I need to be in the best shape I can be. So with that, I turned to the Wingman and told him I was going to stay home Sunday. He was supportive of my decision and completely understood. As soon as I announced my decision it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I could feel the stress just melt away.

I finished out the day at work and we came home and had dinner. After dinner, we loaded a DVD into the player and relaxed on the couch together. I guess it was around 11p when I finally went to bed (which is late for me). I put my head down, shut my eyes and fell asleep.........until 8:30a this morning. I felt so well rested after waking up when my body wanted to wake up. I lounged around until 1p (thank you 3 part episode of Law & Order) and finally changed my clothes for my long run. I told the Wingman of my route and was on my way. I pieced together two of my favorite routes to make up one long route. It paid off big time.

I went out easy and truly enjoyed every mile of the run. Even late in the run when I felt myself slowing down because of the wind, I was still happy to be out there. I thought about the race and how I would finish. I could see myself in my mind's eye crossing the finish line looking strong. When the run today was over I looked at my overall time and thought back to my goals. It's going to be a big push to make it.  I am close to making it, but I need to really nail my last long run. From there it's all about the taper. The hay will be in the barn and I need to make sure I don't set it ablaze!!

And tonight, I will head to bed at a reasonable hour so I can get a good jump on my recovery from the long run today.


No comments:

Post a Comment