Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Oh no, not again

I've been feeling better each day. Yesterday I did a short run and was feeling good during the 2nd half. Today I had school and then raced home so I could get a 1 hour ride in prior to the sun going down. It was a challenge to get the ride in because it was getting quite overcast with each passing minute.

I raced into the house, changed my clothes, pumped my tires and headed out the front door. I was so happy to ride today because a) I'm not training for a tri right now so any riding is purely fun riding and b) it means I am feeling better.

It was pretty windy out and my 'out' portion of the out and back took ~6 minutes longer than usual. I was soooo looking forward to the turnaround. Coming home I had the tailwind. Whoo hoo, I was flying back. I got off 25 and was on a side road when I noticed it how dark it was getting. I should have taken my sunglasses of, but I left them on. Because of that, I was too late noticing broken glass all over the shoulder. I think you know what's coming next. Yep, that hissing sound that is music to my ears.....NOT. It's more like nails down a chalkboard at this point. I immediately pull over, muttered a few expletives under my breath and proceeded to change my tire. Again. This one was a doozy though. I managed to rip a nice hole in the tire.

I have to say I was tempted to do this:



At first I could not find it, and then once I started the tire change, I saw it. Crap. Right near the sidewall. This will cost me another dollar right now. With all of the flats I've been having this season (5 for those of you keeping track), I keep two $1 bills in my tire changing kit. Seriously. I have no luck. So I tucked another dollar bill into the tire, put it back on the rim, filled it up and made it home. I'm tempted to leave that bill in there until spring comes along. I really don't like the idea of heading down to the bike shop or ordering another $60 tire right now.

On the bright side my nose was running like crazy during the ride. I think every last bit of head congestion made it's way out and I am breathing quite freely now through my nose. Tomorrow I have a 5 mile run planned. Unless Oz chimes in.......................

1 comment:

  1. That SUCKS!! I've been riding for 5 years, and I still haven't had a flat! I like Gatorskin or Armadillo tires - there are a little heavier, but they hold up!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete