Thursday, July 17, 2008

NYC Triathlon and other thoughts


I sit here, avoiding my studies, worrying about the tides in the Hudson River for Sunday. Usually this race is advertised as a super fast swim due to the currents in the Hudson. I've been getting some not so good feedback that the current may actually be AGAINST the swimmers this year. Oh man, the last thing I want to do is stay in the Hudson River longer than I have to. I can only hope that the current is so strong they change it to a 5k run. That I can deal with more than swimming upstream. For pete's sake, I'm not salmon!!!

Race details:
1.5k swim in the Hudson from 99th-79th st
40k ride up the West Side Highway to the bronx and back
10k run through Central Park

So, I have my first anatomy test on Monday (the day after). I'm mostly up to speed on the information, it is just tying it all together. For the last two days I have been almost elbow deep in male and female genitalia. Ugh. I will say though, some of these cadavers were pretty sick people (cancer, aneurysms, etc). Our little lady was relatively heathly. She died from renal failure and cardiac arrest. You can actually see where they broke her ribs when they tried to revive her. She was 88. When we first unzipped the bag to see our body, it looked like a man from behind (the head was shaved). We named "him" Ned because we were table N. After two days we had to flip Ned over to get into the thoracic region. When Ned was flipped, I blurted out "Oh my god, Ned has breasts!!"  So now, Ned is Nancy. We are fortunate that everything is good with our cadaver. After looking at the inside coloring of other people's dissections, it makes me think twice about what I eat. I'm talking discolored internal organs. It just does not look healthy to me.

So come Monday, I will have to answer 50 multiple choice questions and then head into the lab and identify ~60 structures. Can you guess what I will be doing this weekend besides racing? If I thought I could carry some index cards on the run, I would!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment