Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Taper Time

My one big race is coming up in just under two weeks. A lot has been going on since I last posted. I've been using this year as a springboard for racing longer next season. I had on particular race in mind, but decided to return to Ironman Lake Placid and improve on my original race performance. I hesitated about financially committing a year in advance to this race, plus it's over crowded, but the idea of getting my big race done in July instead of September was a bonus. This year I struggled with the heat in my training and had to resort to indoor training for my long runs. If I race in July, most of my training would be in cooler temps.

My Wingman has been riding with me and that makes my rides more enjoyable. We pick a route based on my scheduled ride time (and wind direction) and head out. Getting him into cycling was a great decision. He enjoys the riding and we get to spend time together. My last few long runs have been on the treadmill. With all the heat/humidity, I've had to stay indoors. I managed to pull off (2) two hour runs on the treadmill. It wasn't easy, but for the first run I watched the women's marathon in the Olympics. I was ready to stop around 1:40 into the run when the announcer talked about Alberto Salazar. Alberto said what separates the greats are their ability to embrace the suffering when things get hard. Upon hearing that, how could I possibly quit running. So I kept going and finally finished my run when the winner crossed the finish line. My run lasted 2 hours and 13 minutes. That's a lot of running.......

No comments:

Post a Comment