Saturday, August 28, 2010

Feelin' Groovy

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down, the cobble stones
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy

The strangest things go through my head when I ride. I don't wear music when I ride so I've got to have a soundtrack ready to go in my head for long rides. Music gets me through a lot of things and riding is no exception. I have been known to sing out loud to myself when riding. I can't help it. Today was my first shortened ride as part of my taper. In reality, it won't be until this coming week that I will start to physically feel the effects of the reduced volume and increased fitness, but don't tell my mind that. Mentally, I felt sharp out there. And if you ask Wingman, that's rare. I don't go by the nickname "Hero of the Stupid" for nothing. 

We had a route planned out and I knew I had to sit in today and just enjoy it. The hills didn't bother me as much as usual. I'm not saying they were easier, but I put out the same effort and seemed to get up them a little faster. We had some headwind to deal with too. Since we are racing tomorrow (Wingman is riding) I played the part today of the "Domestique" so he could save some energy for tomorrow. When we were up into the wind, he sat on my back wheel and I pulled him through. I actually enjoyed the role today. Normally I HATE riding into the wind, but I guess it must not have been that windy out today. 

There is one section on CR21 that I love. It's fresh pavement, super smooth. At the end of this section is a 'school speed zone' with a detector that tells you how fast you are going. It's like blood in the water for me and my pulse quickens. Immediately I forget my role and begin shifting gears to pick up speed. I move my hands to the drops and pick up my cadence. I can feel the burn as I approach the speed zone. I am hoping there is no car coming behind me so it will register my speed today. As I get close I see my speed and realize there is no car. Today, the 28mph belongs to me. Not blazing fast, but the best I could muster at that moment.

When we finally made the turn to begin the ride home, we enjoyed the help of the tailwind. As we approached a red light in Shoreham, we saw two motorcycles stopped. And you know what that means. It means the "Hero of the Stupid" is in action again. When the light turned green I stood up and powered away from the light. For a brief moment, I was in the lead. But I could hear the roar of the engines and knew it would be short lived. I was beaten. But I have to say I had some nice acceleration. But now it was back to the taper ride. No more fooling around (last thing I need is a smack from Jen). 

The rest of the ride home was uneventful. I have to say that it was a fun ride. I think I even smiled the whole way. I have to spend the rest of the day getting my stuff ready for school. My office in the basement looks like a hurricane went through it, so it needs to be straightened up. Wingman will rest up and I'll check in with Daddy BAMF later. 

Doot-in' doo doo, Feelin' groovy....... 

No comments:

Post a Comment