Sunday, December 14, 2014

Recovery week

This week was my first recovery week since I started back up again with my training. I could feel some fatigue in my legs at the end of my last build phase, but I was still hitting my workout targets. It was weird to have such a light week, but I know to take advantage of the down time as they will be few and far between. I had two rest days and other than working, that is what I did!!

This week I met up with Danielle for some one on one swim lessons, specifically flip turns.  I understand the concept, but have trouble with the execution.  After some fine tuning and lots of practice I am on pace for nailing it shortly. She also coaches a weekly ass kicking, I mean, swim workout, that never fails to leave me in a trembling, cramping ball of exhaustion at the end. This week was no different. I am playing with a tempo trainer that helps me improve my swim stroke rate. I use it for short swim efforts and it certainly has made a little bit of a difference. My 100/yd times are coming down a little.  Obviously I cannot race with it, but I will train with it and try to improve my stroke turnover.  And after the holidays I will hopefully meet up with Danielle for one last swim stroke to master - the butterfly.

My running seems to be getting better as the weather gets cooler. I hate running in the heat of the summer and count the days for it to cool off so I can run. This week I had two short runs at an easy pace to do.  The paces are coming down and getting quicker, even at an easy effort.  Finally!! I'm not fast by any stretch, but I am not super slow anymore.

I only had two bike workouts this week and it threw me for a loop. I feel I don't ride well with only two rides per week (unless I am totally exhausted). For future weeks, there will be at least 3 rides at varying paces. Today I ventured out with Christa for a short ride. It was a bit chilly out at first, but it warmed up in no time. As usual, we had a blast riding today and I baked some chocolate chip cookie bars for Christa to enjoy post ride as a thank you for coming out to ride the last few weeks.

With the holidays coming up, Christa is traveling and I will be alone to get my swim and bike workouts in.  The Thursday night Iron Fit swims will be on hold after this week until the new year. But between now and then, I will keep my foot on the throttle with no letup. There's too much work to do before my first races of 2015.

My sweet new thermal beanie